Position – Student Advocate
Department: Education Department
Posting Date: September 25, 2020
Standard Hours Bi-weekly: 75 hours
Salary: Level 5, ($27.01-$32.19), based on experience
Closing Date: October 8, 2020
Under the direct supervision of the First Nation of Na-Cho Nyak Dun (FNNND) Education and Training Manager, the Student Advocate will work with and may get general direction from the principal of J.V. Clark School. The Education Support Worker works both independently and as a team member in providing support/guidance to FNNND students, parents/guardians, FNNND staff and school staff members directly or through referrals. Coordinates services, programs and cultural connections; performs administrative and case management for students; and be required to enhance the educational success of FNNND students.
• Diploma or degree in Education, Counselling, Social Work or similar field or an acceptable combination of education, training and First Nation’s experience;
• First Nations language skills and speaking Northern Tutchone would be an asset;
• Knowledge of traditional and cultural beliefs of the FNNND;
• Knowledge of educational priorities of the FNNND and Yukon First Nations;
• Knowledge of Indian Residential School history and impacts;
• Knowledge of conflict resolution, basic counselling, mediation skills;
• Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with the public, the principle, FNNND, teachers, students, and other resource providers;
• Ability to assume responsibility, prioritize and meet deadlines;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-discipline team;
• Knowledge of computer programs, word, excel, email, power point, etc.
• Ability to be a positive role model for FNNND Students and Youth;
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
• RCMP Security Clearance, Vulnerable Sector;
• Valid Class 5 Yukon Driver’s License and Abstract;
• Valid Class 4 Yukon Driver’s License (must be willing to obtain);
• First Aid Certification (must be willing to obtain);
• Food Safe Certification (must be willing to obtain).
For more information, or a copy of the Job Description and/or to submit your cover letter/resume and or application, contact:
Millie Olsen, Human Resources
Phone: (867) 996-2265, Ext 203 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail: First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun, PO Box 120, Mayo Yukon Y0B 1M0
Location: 101 Future Rd, C-6 Subdivision
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.